John C. Whitfield
For over 38 years, John has been one of the premier trial attorneys in Kentucky and Tennessee. He has represented numerous injured parties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Tennessee, and throughout the southeastern United States. He has concentrated primarily on complex civil litigation cases, and over his career has brought to settlement or judgment over 45 cases in excess of a million dollars each. John is certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and has represented individuals in all walks of life against negligent workplace practices, reckless physicians, predatory businesses, and inattentive truck and automobile drivers among many others. John has an additional concentration in the Nashville, Tennessee area of representing motorcyclists who have been injured through no fault of their own.
John graduated with distinction from the University of Kentucky with his undergraduate degree before attending law school at the university. Throughout his career, John has represented scores of individuals who have been the victims of medical negligence, defective drugs and medical devices, obtaining verdicts and settlements in both state and federal courts. He has handled cases for landowners victim to fraudulent mine royalty practices, for homeowners whose homes and business contained defective concrete, and for Kentucky residents who were overcharged for premium insurance taxes.
John is a frequent lecturer of litigation subjects with the Kentucky Justice Association and American Association for Justice and has been recognized as a Kentucky Super Lawyer multiple times. He is AV rated by the Martindale-Hubbell rating service.
John is an avid motorcyclist and a member of national motorcycle club. He plays guitar, is co-owner of a whiskey distillery, and travels.
Get a Free Case Review
Call: 615-921-6500 for a free and confidential consultation with an experienced attorney at the Whitfield Coleman Montoya.
For e-mail inquiry, please fill out and submit the form below.
- University of Kentucky – Lexington: B.A., with distinction, 1979
- University of Kentucky – Lexington: J.D., 1982
- State of Kentucky
- State of Tennessee
- State of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kentucky Justice Association, Contributing Editor of Trial Practice Magazine The Advocate
- American Association for Justice, Litigation Medical negligence, and Railroad Sections
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Hopkins County Bar Association
- Madisonville-Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce, Chairman (2000-2001)
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Contributing Editor of Trial Practice section for The Advocate
- Kentucky Attorney Disciplinary System, Trial Commissioner
- Hopkins Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hopkins County Salvation Army, Board Member
Awards / Recognition
- Named to Kentucky Super Lawyers, 2007-2010, 2013-2020
- Continental Who’s Who, Pinnacle Lifetime Member
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named 10 Best Personal Injury Lawyers from the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
800 S. Gay Street
Knoxville, TN 37929
518 Monroe St.
Nashville, TN 37208
19 N. Main St.
Madisonville, KY 42431
1000 Highland Colony Pkwy
Ridgeland, MS 39157
201 Alhambra Circle, Suite 1100
Coral Gables, FL 33134