Driving under the influence is defined as operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) that is above the legal limit. In most jurisdictions, a BAC of .08% or higher is illegal and can be considered a crime; however, driving under the influence can also refer to a driver operating a vehicle while using drugs or medication. Committing a DUI is a serious crime punishable by large fines, suspension of one’s license and in the most severe cases, imprisonment. Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs causes thousands of accidents every year that result in a devastating loss of life and take a huge financial toll on society.
The 10 Shocking DUI Accident Statistics
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a person is injured in a DUI accident every 90 seconds.
- Every day in America, twenty-seven people will die as a result of drunk driving accidents. That is an average of one every 53 minutes.
- During 2010, 211 children were killed in DUI accidents. Of those, sixty-two percent, or 131 children were riding with the intoxicated driver.
- Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for teens, and approximately one-third of these accidents involve alcohol or another substance.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10,228 people were killed in DUI accidents during 2010. This accounts for 31% of traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- At 23.4%, the rate of DUI is highest among people aged twenty-one to twenty-five. Approximately 5.8% of 16-17 year-olds and 15.1% of 18-20 year-olds confessed to having driven while intoxicated sometime during the past year.
- On average, a drunk driver will drive eighty times while under the influence before their first arrest.
- Alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal DUI accidents in 2010 was four times higher at night than during the day.
- According to the CDC, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested in 2010 for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- It is estimated that one in three people in the United States will be involved in a DUI accident sometime in their life.
If a drunk driver injures you or someone you love, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced personal injury attorney, like those at Phillips Law Firm. Obtaining legal council will ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.